Here’s a great recent version of the Cream doing the old Blues Classic – Sitting on Top of the World at their reunion concert in 2005.
Here’s a great video of Joe Pass playing in a jazz combo in 1964. Thankyou to Dan Adler for making me aware of this recording
If you like acoustic guitar check out The Acoustic Guitarist Site
Here’s a great old Spencer Davis Youtube Video
Pick who the guitarist is?
Anyone that was alive and really listening to rock guitar in the 1970′s would know of Leslie West from the band Mountain. Leslie’s sound was second to none, he played a Les Paul junior and an interesting thing was he wasn’t really interested in using his little finger on his fretting hand, regardless of that his tone was sensational and sends chills down the spine.
For another great guitar video, check out Jeff Beck
I’ve been a fan of Jeff Beck’s playing since the days when he played with the Jeff Beck Group, I think it was the song Definitely Maybe which first convinced me of what he had to offer which was different to others. His tone is fantastic. This is the classic song ‘Cause we’ve ended as lovers’, one of my favorites. Note, there is a slight intonation issue later in the song, which is not surprising considering his use of the whammy bar.
Here is my favourite Jeff Beck Song called Nadia
Adrian Belew is one of the most innovative guitarists. He played with King Crimson and also did some exceptional work with David Bowie. He also recorded with Talking Heads on the Remain in Light album and David Byrne’s Catherine Wheel project. His early work on his solo albums Twang Bar King and Lone Rhino seperated him out from other guitar players because of his ability to create fascinating sound effects.
Here is the Adrian Belew Website - Adrian Belew
And here is a link to Jeff Beck’s beautiful recording of Nadia
The guitar in this performance is incredibly beautiful, it also features the young Tal Wilkenfeldon on bass. Jeff Beck manages to make his guitar cry like no one else. I’ve never realy understood how or why, and frankly I don’t want to know. My other favorites by him are Definitely Maybe and Nadia.
Click hear to experience Nadia
Here’s Phil Keaggy, famous for his brilliant acoustic guitar playing, on am elecytic guitar. The tune is called March of the Clouds.
And here is Phil Keaggy on Acoustic Guitar Acoustic Guitarist Phil Keaggy
I’ve been seeing so much good jazz guitar video’s which are available lately, I thought I’d post another one. This is Jimmy Raney, he’s not a household name like Montgomery, Kessell or Joe Pass but amongst jazz guitar players he’s held in very high regard. His son is also a great player as well. Here he is doing the jazz standard Out of Nowhere.
Here’s a great Jazz Guitar Youtube of Joe Diorio and Pat Metheny. The tune they are doing is a jzz/ blues classic called Blues in the closet.
Joe Diorio is a very well respected guitar player amongst jazz guitar players, in fact he is held in the highest regard. To hear him here with Pat Metheny is a real treat.
Here is a link to Joe’s Myspace page Joe Diorio MySpace
Here is some great jazz guitar that has everything in it, and in this case it’s great, chordal solos, fast hot jazz shredding, octaves and some beautiful flowing lines, it’s a great mix of various tequniques strung ( guitar joke) together very nicely. The guitar player is Chuck Anderson, the tune is the magnificent standard “There Will Never Be Another You”. Run it through a couple of times to get a good idea of what’s really going on here.
Here is Chuck’s site for more information about this great playing. Check him out at Chuck Anderson
And really if you are going to listen to jazz guitar, you may as well listen to the great stuff!
For more guitar go to here Electric Guitarist Jazz Guitar
Robert Cray and Albert Collins together, both are exceptional blues players. Very different in style, Albert plays a Fender Tele, what is unusual about his playing is he often uses a capo. Albert Collins’s playing seems to have sweetened over the years, he has an extraordinary bite in his playing. Robert Cray, the silky voiced bluesman achieved great commercial success in the eighties. Robert would probably be the smoothest blues player getting around. Robert first started playing because he liked the Beatles music. He mixes the the brilliant blues of the past with the production quality of the present.
If you want to hear an exception album, have a listen to the Showdown album, it included a third great blues player Johnny Cougar.
This is going to hurt you people who have been playing for years, once you’ve seen Joe Bonamassa at 12 years old playing.
Thanks o Jon from Guitar Noize for the heads up on this
JIMI HENDRIX on Youtube Video
Keep in mind this is 1969 on the Lulu British Television Show . Jimi Hendrix does nine minutes of Voodoo Chile and Hey Joe and then they do Sunshine of Your Love
Considering what else was on television at that time. Lulu was very young at the time, she had top 40 hits at about 17 years old.
This was a missing tape for a number of years, this is music history
Here’s a lesson from Frank Gambale Guitar Lesson Tutorial using a slightly altered triad, it’s a 1 2 3 5 of the major scale. He’s offering this as an option to extend guitar players playing a little to get out of the standard 1 35 arpeggios. He also plays some very nice guitar after the tutorial
Thanks Frank. I wuill be posting more tutorials here from now on
I was sitting at home listening to the Pat Martino CD We’ll be Together Again and then I realised that there maybe guitar players thatdon’t know this great jazz guitar legend. Pat has had a very interesting journey in life and recovered from a very serious illness. He is probably one of the most fluent players in the history of guitar. Here is is on Youtube video with another great contemporary jazz guitar player John Schofield. I saw John Schofield play in the early eighties in a guitar duet, I still haven’t recovered.
Truly remarkable guitar playing if you care to look at it closely.
Ooooh, now this is good. What a mix, four very great players together doing Rock Me Baby. I love Buddy Guys playing, I first heard him about 1971 and he was in a dream I had at the time at 14 years old, and at that time I didn’t know who he was. Now every guitar player should know him. Jimmy V is Stevie Rays brother, the other two don’t need an introduction, only respect. Great to hear another version of a blues.
When Charlie Christian first played the electric guitar in the late 30′s anbd early 1940′s, when most people heard it they did not realise that it was an electric guitar, it was a new phenomena. This youtube video is not Charlie Christian playing live, it is a series of photographs, but the recording of him playing Stomping at the Savoy live in 1941 is of great historical interest to guitar players. So many of the great jazz plays fashioned their style on Charlie Christian. He died very young, just like Hendrix did. His impact is not widely recognised outside of jazz guitar circles.
This guy Charlie Hunter is a really serious guitar player; there’s guys who just play, guys that shred and others that just copy. Charlie Hunter is someone that thinks for himself, and he can play. I’ve been aware of his playing for quite a few years now, when I first heard him him doing Hendrix’s If six was Nine, I thought what is this? What the? That sound… good heavens… he’s got it. And I got what he’s doing and it sends chills through me. Salutations to Charlie Hunter.
Here’s a guitar video of the incredible John Lee Hooker doing the tune Bad Like Jesse James, with his trademark vocals and simple repetitive riffs. His sound is recognisable after a couple of notes. The dialogue prior to the tune is Ry Cooder. Cooder’s has been responsible for supporting and exposing numerous musicians from various cultural backgrounds.
John Lee Hooker’s music is simple, but he plays exactly what is required, a lesson to guitar plares everywhere.
BEST Guitar and Blog SITE Hosting
- Tommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic GuitarTommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic […]
- Lightnin Hopkins – Mojo HandLightnin Hopkins Youtube video – Acoustic Guitar – Mojo Hand Tony Hogan […]
- Lightnin Hopkins Blues Guitar YoutubeLightnin Hopkins doing an Acoustic Blues Guitar version of Baby Please Don’t Go For more Blues Guitar Check out T Bone Walker […]
- Jon Gomm YoutubeThis is a very good contemporary acoustic guitar arrangement of the the Soul / Funk tune by Chaka Khan by an excellent guitar player by the name of Jon Gomm. It includes a number of techniques such as Tapping, Harmonics, Hammer Ons, and Pull Offs and at the same time is very musical To visit […]
- Russ Barenberg – Acoustic Guitar YoutubeRuss Barenberg playing beautiful acoustic guitar on the tune Drummers of England… a lesson in musicality For more beautiful guitar go to Russ Barenberg and Jerry Douglas For Russ’s website Russ Barenberg … and he has Skype lessons !!!!! […]
- Seymour Duncan Releases 7/8-String Black WinterYou asked for it, you got it: Seymour Duncan has launched new 7 and 8-string versions of the Black Winter, the aggressively brootals humbucker set originally designed for extreme metal players of Scandinavia who were looking for more aggression without sacrificing definition and clarity. After consistently being asked to make this pickup available for the re […]
- Comparing The BOSS Phaser FamilyBOSS released its first three compact foot pedals in 1977: the OD-1 Overdrive, the SP-1 Spectrum (a parametric equaliser) and the PH-1 Phaser. The OD-1 is, of course, an enduring classic which paved the way for the OD-2 (1985-1994) and the current OD-3 (1997-present). The SP-1 found more favour with keyboard players than guitarists, and […] […]
- INTERVIEW: Zakk WyldeZakk Wylde’s quarter-century career as shred master supreme is signposted by landmark works like Ozzy Osbourne’s No More Tears, his own bands Black Label Society and Pride & Glory, and even brief stints with The Allman Brothers Band (filling in for a gig in 1993) and Guns N’ Roses (joining Slash and co in the […] […]
- ENGL Added To AmpliTube Custom ShopPRESS RELEASE: IK Multimedia, the global leader in digital modeling technology, announced today a new release of AmpliTube Custom Shop for Mac and PC that includes top models from THE high-gain German amplifier manufacturer ENGL. These new models give metal and classic to modern hard rock players new high-end power tools to perfectly sculpt […] […]
- Devin Townsend – ‘Funeral’[…]
- Voodoo Chile Acoustic Guitar TutorialHere is a simple and sensible Youtube Video Tutorial of an acoustic version of Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile gratitude to the publisher Tagged: voodoo chile acoustic guitar youtube […]
- How to Improve Your Guitar PlayingThese So many guitar players want to improve their guitar playing but ignore some fundamental things. Here are some tips that are easily missed by inexperienced players. Learn the notes on the fretboard Learn the sound / texture of chord … Continue reading → […]
- Antoine DufourAntoine Dufour – Acoustic Guitar These Moments Hammer ons, pull offs , taps, harmonics open tuning and beauty. Tagged: antoine dufour, open tuning, tapping […]
- Jam With Google ChromeThis is an interesting concept and had to happen sooner or later, jamming with Google Chrome Google Chrome Jamming I will go in and test it at some point soon when I come up for air. Haven’t been blogging for … Continue reading → […]
- T Bone Walker Blues Guitar YoutubeThis is a wonderful Blues on semi-acoustic guitar with T Bone Walker and Shakey Jake on vocals for more Blues check out Mississipi John Hurt Tony Hogan Tagged: T Bone Walker Blues Guitar […]
- Cream Reunion Youtube – Sitting on Top of the World
- Joe Pass Youtube Video
- Spencer Davis Group Youtube
- Lesle West Mountain Youtube
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers
- Booby McFerrin and Richard Bona Youtube
- Adrian Belew Youtube Electric Guitar
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Because We’ve Ended as Lovers
- Phil Keaggy Youtube Electric Guitar
- Michael Jackson Electric Guitar Tribute