This guy Charlie Hunter is a really serious guitar player; there’s guys who just play, guys that shred and others that just copy. Charlie Hunter is someone that thinks for himself, and he can play. I’ve been aware of his playing for quite a few years now, when I first heard him him doing Hendrix’s If six was Nine, I thought what is this? What the? That sound… good heavens… he’s got it. And I got what he’s doing and it sends chills through me. Salutations to Charlie Hunter.
Anyone that was alive and listening in the early seventies would have been aware of the Dutch band Focus, and many would also realise that their music extended way past the hit single Hocus Pocus, complete with yoddeling. I have posted about the following electric guitar video because it is of historical value. The original guitar player with Focus was the unbelievable player Jan Akkerman, second to none in his day. After he left, another player called Philip Catherine joined the band. Philip Catherine is an incrdible jazz guitar player, I have heard him working with Niels Henning Orsted Pederson, the virtuoso Danish jazz bass player and also the legendary Stepane Grapelli, and Larry Coryell. In Europe, Philip Catherine was really pushing ahead in the areas of jazz rock. Philip Catherine and Coryell, recorded a couple of the worlds best acoustic guitar duets ever, fast, sensitive and very scary. In fact, I think Coryell sounded his best when he played with Catherine.
So here is Philip Catherine with Focus, yes a little dated but well worth seeing him in action, remember it is 32 years ago.
Charlie Mingus the legendary bass player wrote a song called Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. Over the years I’ve heard many great players record it, John McLaughlin, Ralph Towner, Joni Mitchell did a vocal version as well, but the most strking version I’ve ever heard is Jeff Beck doing his electric version which he recorded on Wired in 76.
This youtube guitar video is Jeff Beck playing Pork Pie Hat in 2006. It’s part of a medley, the other tune is called Brush with the Blues.
Ronnie Jordan is a very good contemporary jazz player, he plays very musically compared to a lot of other players and his emphasis is very much on feel. In this youtube video he is playing the jazz standard by Miles Davis called So What.
The only thing better than one guitar is two, the only thing better than one great guitarist is two. Apply the afore mentioned principle to a song by a musical genius e.g. Jeff Beck ‘Because we’ve Ended as Lovers’ and the result is something extraordinary.
Lee Ritenour crept or quietly exploded into the jazz rock scene in the late seventies both as a ession player and band leader, and Steve Lukather was turning many heads with his perfect recordings and work with commercial band Toto. Regardless of what style we prefer as listeners, do yourself a favour, watch and listen to this guitar video.
Larry Carlton scared the living daylights out of me in the seventies with his intro to the Steely Dan song Don’t take me Alive. I was already familiar with his work prior to his work with the Dan. Robben Ford appeared on the scene a short time later. To hear these guys together is a bit of a treat, they function at a much higher level than most guitar players. That is not an insult to anyone at all, it’s just that they have done the hard yards of study and working on seesions and with other world class musicians. Two guitars interacting is always a ‘goer’ for me. These guys are two of the worlds best jazz rock players. If you are not familiar with either of these players, I highly reommend exploring their work.
BEST Guitar and Blog SITE Hosting
- Tommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic GuitarTommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic […]
- Lightnin Hopkins – Mojo HandLightnin Hopkins Youtube video – Acoustic Guitar – Mojo Hand Tony Hogan […]
- Lightnin Hopkins Blues Guitar YoutubeLightnin Hopkins doing an Acoustic Blues Guitar version of Baby Please Don’t Go For more Blues Guitar Check out T Bone Walker […]
- Jon Gomm YoutubeThis is a very good contemporary acoustic guitar arrangement of the the Soul / Funk tune by Chaka Khan by an excellent guitar player by the name of Jon Gomm. It includes a number of techniques such as Tapping, Harmonics, Hammer Ons, and Pull Offs and at the same time is very musical To visit […]
- Russ Barenberg – Acoustic Guitar YoutubeRuss Barenberg playing beautiful acoustic guitar on the tune Drummers of England… a lesson in musicality For more beautiful guitar go to Russ Barenberg and Jerry Douglas For Russ’s website Russ Barenberg … and he has Skype lessons !!!!! […]
- BOSS Introduces Waza Craft SeriesBOSS pedals have happily occupied pride of place on hundreds of thousands of pedalboards for decades, and for the past 15 years or so a lot of folks have made quite a name for themselves developing mods for popular BOSS pedals like the Super Overdrive and the Blues Driver. And BOSS has now introduced three […] […]
- INTERVIEW: Debashish BhattacharyaDebashish Bhattacharya has an international following not only for his playing but also his extraordinary instrumental arsenal. But more than that, Debashish is a voice of pure inspiration, helping to bring Indian classical music to the masses and tirelessly sharing his love of the form and his passion for life itself. Seriously, a 20-minute interview […] […]
- Hey. Stop Trying To Justify Music Theft, Alright?I was just reading some stuff over at The Guardian about Robin Thicke’s new album. It turns out The Guardian is mistakenly reporting that Thicke’s new album Paula sold ‘less than 54 copies’ in Australia during its first week. It seems that their assumption is based on the fact that it didn’t appear in the […] […]
- Mesa Cab Clone Makes Life Worth LivingAaah, that’s the stuff. Mesa Engineering has just announced the Cab Clone, a guitar speaker cabinet emulator and load box which lets you record your screaming, wailing cranked tube amp silently or to send a nice clean signal to a mixing desk via the balanced XLR output, plus a 1/4″ uncompensated output for sending your […] […]
- Win Tickets To Guthrie Govan’s Oz Clinic Tour!Hey folks! I’ve got a free double pass to give away to one of Guthrie Govan’s Australian masterclasses in the city of your choice (excluding Adelaide) thanks to the fine folks at Thump Music. To enter, email iheartguitarblog AT gmail DOT com with “Guthrie Comp” in the subject line, and tell me which city you’d […] […]
- Voodoo Chile Acoustic Guitar TutorialHere is a simple and sensible Youtube Video Tutorial of an acoustic version of Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile gratitude to the publisher Tagged: voodoo chile acoustic guitar youtube […]
- How to Improve Your Guitar PlayingThese So many guitar players want to improve their guitar playing but ignore some fundamental things. Here are some tips that are easily missed by inexperienced players. Learn the notes on the fretboard Learn the sound / texture of chord … Continue reading → […]
- Antoine DufourAntoine Dufour – Acoustic Guitar These Moments Hammer ons, pull offs , taps, harmonics open tuning and beauty. Tagged: antoine dufour, open tuning, tapping […]
- Jam With Google ChromeThis is an interesting concept and had to happen sooner or later, jamming with Google Chrome Google Chrome Jamming I will go in and test it at some point soon when I come up for air. Haven’t been blogging for … Continue reading → […]
- T Bone Walker Blues Guitar YoutubeThis is a wonderful Blues on semi-acoustic guitar with T Bone Walker and Shakey Jake on vocals for more Blues check out Mississipi John Hurt Tony Hogan Tagged: T Bone Walker Blues Guitar […]
- Cream Reunion Youtube – Sitting on Top of the World
- Joe Pass Youtube Video
- Spencer Davis Group Youtube
- Lesle West Mountain Youtube
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers
- Booby McFerrin and Richard Bona Youtube
- Adrian Belew Youtube Electric Guitar
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Because We’ve Ended as Lovers
- Phil Keaggy Youtube Electric Guitar
- Michael Jackson Electric Guitar Tribute