This guy Charlie Hunter is a really serious guitar player; there’s guys who just play, guys that shred and others that just copy. Charlie Hunter is someone that thinks for himself, and he can play. I’ve been aware of his playing for quite a few years now, when I first heard him him doing Hendrix’s If six was Nine, I thought what is this? What the? That sound… good heavens… he’s got it. And I got what he’s doing and it sends chills through me. Salutations to Charlie Hunter.
Anyone that was alive and listening in the early seventies would have been aware of the Dutch band Focus, and many would also realise that their music extended way past the hit single Hocus Pocus, complete with yoddeling. I have posted about the following electric guitar video because it is of historical value. The original guitar player with Focus was the unbelievable player Jan Akkerman, second to none in his day. After he left, another player called Philip Catherine joined the band. Philip Catherine is an incrdible jazz guitar player, I have heard him working with Niels Henning Orsted Pederson, the virtuoso Danish jazz bass player and also the legendary Stepane Grapelli, and Larry Coryell. In Europe, Philip Catherine was really pushing ahead in the areas of jazz rock. Philip Catherine and Coryell, recorded a couple of the worlds best acoustic guitar duets ever, fast, sensitive and very scary. In fact, I think Coryell sounded his best when he played with Catherine.
So here is Philip Catherine with Focus, yes a little dated but well worth seeing him in action, remember it is 32 years ago.
Charlie Mingus the legendary bass player wrote a song called Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. Over the years I’ve heard many great players record it, John McLaughlin, Ralph Towner, Joni Mitchell did a vocal version as well, but the most strking version I’ve ever heard is Jeff Beck doing his electric version which he recorded on Wired in 76.
This youtube guitar video is Jeff Beck playing Pork Pie Hat in 2006. It’s part of a medley, the other tune is called Brush with the Blues.
Ronnie Jordan is a very good contemporary jazz player, he plays very musically compared to a lot of other players and his emphasis is very much on feel. In this youtube video he is playing the jazz standard by Miles Davis called So What.
The only thing better than one guitar is two, the only thing better than one great guitarist is two. Apply the afore mentioned principle to a song by a musical genius e.g. Jeff Beck ‘Because we’ve Ended as Lovers’ and the result is something extraordinary.
Lee Ritenour crept or quietly exploded into the jazz rock scene in the late seventies both as a ession player and band leader, and Steve Lukather was turning many heads with his perfect recordings and work with commercial band Toto. Regardless of what style we prefer as listeners, do yourself a favour, watch and listen to this guitar video.
Larry Carlton scared the living daylights out of me in the seventies with his intro to the Steely Dan song Don’t take me Alive. I was already familiar with his work prior to his work with the Dan. Robben Ford appeared on the scene a short time later. To hear these guys together is a bit of a treat, they function at a much higher level than most guitar players. That is not an insult to anyone at all, it’s just that they have done the hard yards of study and working on seesions and with other world class musicians. Two guitars interacting is always a ‘goer’ for me. These guys are two of the worlds best jazz rock players. If you are not familiar with either of these players, I highly reommend exploring their work.
BEST Guitar and Blog SITE Hosting
- Tommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic GuitarTommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic […]
- Lightnin Hopkins – Mojo HandLightnin Hopkins Youtube video – Acoustic Guitar – Mojo Hand Tony Hogan […]
- Lightnin Hopkins Blues Guitar YoutubeLightnin Hopkins doing an Acoustic Blues Guitar version of Baby Please Don’t Go For more Blues Guitar Check out T Bone Walker […]
- Jon Gomm YoutubeThis is a very good contemporary acoustic guitar arrangement of the the Soul / Funk tune by Chaka Khan by an excellent guitar player by the name of Jon Gomm. It includes a number of techniques such as Tapping, Harmonics, Hammer Ons, and Pull Offs and at the same time is very musical To visit […]
- Russ Barenberg – Acoustic Guitar YoutubeRuss Barenberg playing beautiful acoustic guitar on the tune Drummers of England… a lesson in musicality For more beautiful guitar go to Russ Barenberg and Jerry Douglas For Russ’s website Russ Barenberg … and he has Skype lessons !!!!! […]
- New Stevie Ray Vaughan Box SetIf you’ve never delved into the world of Stevie Ray Vaughan before, or if you’ve only heard a few tracks here and there and you figure that the best way to rectify that is to go totally overboard, or if you’re just a completist, dagnabbit, Sony/Legacy will release a comprehensive box set bringing together all […] […]
- Aristides Instruments Refines the Guitar With the New 060Utilizing an exoskeleton design made of a semi-monocoque construction, the latest guitar from Aristides Instruments expands on the companies innovations regarding body design, components and mechanics. The new 060 provides plenty of horsepower and performance to deliver whatever a guitarist might want play. […]
- Introducing The Mono Guitar Sleeve & Bass SleeveThe Guitar SleeveTM and Bass SleeveTM are the latest addition to MONO’s collection of professional luggage for musicians. Designed to be a minimalist solution for traveling light and simple, the new SleeveTM collection of cases merges MONO’s innovative protection and high quality construction standards into a super slim, stylish and competitive price-point d […]
- Frank Iero Releases Solo AlbumFormer My Chemical Romance guitarist Frank Iero will release Stomachaches, the debut album by his new project FRNKIERO ANDTHE CELLABRATION on August 29 via Cooking Vinyl Records. Iero plays every instrument on the 12-track album except for drums, which were handled by Jarrod Alexander. Iero recorded the album in his own B.Calm home studio, then […] […]
- A Bunch O’ New FendersAah, is there anything sweeter than seeing an email in my inbox about a bunch of new Fender models? Well, maybe that day I brought home my Fender American Vintage ’62 Strat Reissue or perhaps my Squier Bass VI. But in terms of guitar-geek excitement level, there’s something primal about the Fender logo that still […] […]
- Voodoo Chile Acoustic Guitar TutorialHere is a simple and sensible Youtube Video Tutorial of an acoustic version of Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile gratitude to the publisher Tagged: voodoo chile acoustic guitar youtube […]
- How to Improve Your Guitar PlayingThese So many guitar players want to improve their guitar playing but ignore some fundamental things. Here are some tips that are easily missed by inexperienced players. Learn the notes on the fretboard Learn the sound / texture of chord … Continue reading → […]
- Antoine DufourAntoine Dufour – Acoustic Guitar These Moments Hammer ons, pull offs , taps, harmonics open tuning and beauty. Tagged: antoine dufour, open tuning, tapping […]
- Jam With Google ChromeThis is an interesting concept and had to happen sooner or later, jamming with Google Chrome Google Chrome Jamming I will go in and test it at some point soon when I come up for air. Haven’t been blogging for … Continue reading → […]
- T Bone Walker Blues Guitar YoutubeThis is a wonderful Blues on semi-acoustic guitar with T Bone Walker and Shakey Jake on vocals for more Blues check out Mississipi John Hurt Tony Hogan Tagged: T Bone Walker Blues Guitar […]
- Cream Reunion Youtube – Sitting on Top of the World
- Joe Pass Youtube Video
- Spencer Davis Group Youtube
- Lesle West Mountain Youtube
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers
- Booby McFerrin and Richard Bona Youtube
- Adrian Belew Youtube Electric Guitar
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Because We’ve Ended as Lovers
- Phil Keaggy Youtube Electric Guitar
- Michael Jackson Electric Guitar Tribute