The Shadows with Hank Marvin out front were very influential for many guitar players instrumental. Hank ,played his trademark Fender Strat.
Apache, Con Tiki, Wonderful Land were all number one hits and they had numerous other hits in the charts. Whereas many players were growing their hair, burning incense and whatever, the Shadows had a very clean look wearing suits. But in the scheme of things, that’s not so important. What is, is that Hank had so much contriol over his tone and played very refined melodies. He didn’t waste a note. Leave the opinions of style and looking cool at the door and listen to this.
One of the greatest and most influencial electric blues guitar players of all time is T Bone Walker. Apart from playing very musical sounding single lines his chord voicings and double stops were outstanding. He died in 1975 at 64 years of age. When you hear Hendrix play a slow blues it’s hard not to hear T Bone Walker. His playing was a lot more sophisticated than a lot of other players. The video Youtube blues song is called “Don’t throw Your Love on me so Strong”
It’s very hard to have an electric guitar site that specializes in electric guitar and not to include Gary Moore – Still Got the Blues for You. This song is a minor blues, I’ve always found the minor blues (Built from using Minor chords instead of a standard seventh chords much more soulful and this tune is a perfect example of the emotion and depth of sadness that can come from minors. I just love that singing Les Paul sound. And in a way it reminds me at times of Carlos Santana at times on the slow notes. Gary Moore has exceptional control right up the top of the fretboard. I can’t imagine how many players have been influenced by this tune and how many will be in the future. Hats off to Gary Moore.
Previously I posted about Gary Moore doing The Thrill is Gone with B B King, so if you enjoy this video, you’ll like the other one. Click the link to got to the Article The Thrill is Gone
Here’s a great classic sounding youtube video of Creedence Clearwater Revival with John Fogarty’s incredibly swampy sound playing the soul hit Heard it through the Grapevine.
A lot of guitarists may not know of Clarence White, Roger McGuinn and the Byrds. I’ve posted about this for historical reasons and also because I love McGuinns voice, (think Hey Mr Tambourine Man and the jangly Rickenbacker guitar sound), it also has Clarence White, the great guitar player who died in 73. Clarence White was one a very brilliant acoustic guitar player who had the perfect bluegrass acoustic sound that inspired thousands of players, many have copied him either consciously or unconsciously. I also love the dancing in the clip.
BEST Guitar and Blog SITE Hosting
- Tommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic GuitarTommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic […]
- Lightnin Hopkins – Mojo HandLightnin Hopkins Youtube video – Acoustic Guitar – Mojo Hand Tony Hogan […]
- Lightnin Hopkins Blues Guitar YoutubeLightnin Hopkins doing an Acoustic Blues Guitar version of Baby Please Don’t Go For more Blues Guitar Check out T Bone Walker […]
- Jon Gomm YoutubeThis is a very good contemporary acoustic guitar arrangement of the the Soul / Funk tune by Chaka Khan by an excellent guitar player by the name of Jon Gomm. It includes a number of techniques such as Tapping, Harmonics, Hammer Ons, and Pull Offs and at the same time is very musical To visit […]
- Russ Barenberg – Acoustic Guitar YoutubeRuss Barenberg playing beautiful acoustic guitar on the tune Drummers of England… a lesson in musicality For more beautiful guitar go to Russ Barenberg and Jerry Douglas For Russ’s website Russ Barenberg … and he has Skype lessons !!!!! […]
- INTERVIEW: Opeth’s Mikael ÅkerfeldtOpeth unashamedly alienated some of their fan base with their 2011 album Heritage. While a large portion of their fans were drawn to the Swedesh masters for their progressive death metal leanings, Heritage was primarily inspired by 70s fusion in the style of John McLaughlin’s Mahavishnu Orchestra - and there wasn’t a single death-growl to be heard anywhere. […]
- koRn – Hater[…]
- Introducing Black Lightning GalleryAre you a fan of great guitar music? Of course you are. Do you need some inspiration for the wall of your music space? Maybe a shrine to your favourite artists? Or just something cool to hang above the fireplace? Check out Black Lightning Gallery in Los Angeles. Founded by Rohan Ocean, Black Lightning Gallery […] […]
- The Ultimate Guitar Pickup GuideSo, what’s the deal with pickups, then? Check out this piece I wrote for Andertons which breaks it down for ya, from the basics to more advanced stuff like the difference between coil splitting and coil tapping. A snippet: “The simplest way to think of a pickup is “like a microphone for an electric guitar.” And […] […]
- INTERVIEW: DragonForce’s Herman Li & Sam TotmanThe mighty DragonForce have always brought the epic energy, triumphant power-metal riffage, anthemic choruses and intense shred to their work, but what makes their new album Maximum Overload stand out a little from the rest of their catalog is their willingness to step outside of their established sound just far enough to keep it fresh. […] […]
- Voodoo Chile Acoustic Guitar TutorialHere is a simple and sensible Youtube Video Tutorial of an acoustic version of Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile gratitude to the publisher Tagged: voodoo chile acoustic guitar youtube […]
- How to Improve Your Guitar PlayingThese So many guitar players want to improve their guitar playing but ignore some fundamental things. Here are some tips that are easily missed by inexperienced players. Learn the notes on the fretboard Learn the sound / texture of chord … Continue reading → […]
- Antoine DufourAntoine Dufour – Acoustic Guitar These Moments Hammer ons, pull offs , taps, harmonics open tuning and beauty. Tagged: antoine dufour, open tuning, tapping […]
- Jam With Google ChromeThis is an interesting concept and had to happen sooner or later, jamming with Google Chrome Google Chrome Jamming I will go in and test it at some point soon when I come up for air. Haven’t been blogging for … Continue reading → […]
- T Bone Walker Blues Guitar YoutubeThis is a wonderful Blues on semi-acoustic guitar with T Bone Walker and Shakey Jake on vocals for more Blues check out Mississipi John Hurt Tony Hogan Tagged: T Bone Walker Blues Guitar […]
- Cream Reunion Youtube – Sitting on Top of the World
- Joe Pass Youtube Video
- Spencer Davis Group Youtube
- Lesle West Mountain Youtube
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers
- Booby McFerrin and Richard Bona Youtube
- Adrian Belew Youtube Electric Guitar
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Because We’ve Ended as Lovers
- Phil Keaggy Youtube Electric Guitar
- Michael Jackson Electric Guitar Tribute