Here’s a great recent version of the Cream doing the old Blues Classic – Sitting on Top of the World at their reunion concert in 2005.
Here’s a great video of Joe Pass playing in a jazz combo in 1964. Thankyou to Dan Adler for making me aware of this recording
If you like acoustic guitar check out The Acoustic Guitarist Site
Anyone that was alive and really listening to rock guitar in the 1970′s would know of Leslie West from the band Mountain. Leslie’s sound was second to none, he played a Les Paul junior and an interesting thing was he wasn’t really interested in using his little finger on his fretting hand, regardless of that his tone was sensational and sends chills down the spine.
For another great guitar video, check out Jeff Beck
I’ve been a fan of Jeff Beck’s playing since the days when he played with the Jeff Beck Group, I think it was the song Definitely Maybe which first convinced me of what he had to offer which was different to others. His tone is fantastic. This is the classic song ‘Cause we’ve ended as lovers’, one of my favorites. Note, there is a slight intonation issue later in the song, which is not surprising considering his use of the whammy bar.
Here is my favourite Jeff Beck Song called Nadia
Adrian Belew is one of the most innovative guitarists. He played with King Crimson and also did some exceptional work with David Bowie. He also recorded with Talking Heads on the Remain in Light album and David Byrne’s Catherine Wheel project. His early work on his solo albums Twang Bar King and Lone Rhino seperated him out from other guitar players because of his ability to create fascinating sound effects.
Here is the Adrian Belew Website - Adrian Belew
And here is a link to Jeff Beck’s beautiful recording of Nadia
The guitar in this performance is incredibly beautiful, it also features the young Tal Wilkenfeldon on bass. Jeff Beck manages to make his guitar cry like no one else. I’ve never realy understood how or why, and frankly I don’t want to know. My other favorites by him are Definitely Maybe and Nadia.
Click hear to experience Nadia
Just saw a great post of some Guitar Players that Michaeol Jackson used on recordings
Go to GuitarNoize
Here’s a great Jazz Guitar Youtube of Joe Diorio and Pat Metheny. The tune they are doing is a jzz/ blues classic called Blues in the closet.
Joe Diorio is a very well respected guitar player amongst jazz guitar players, in fact he is held in the highest regard. To hear him here with Pat Metheny is a real treat.
Here is a link to Joe’s Myspace page Joe Diorio MySpace
JIMI HENDRIX on Youtube Video
Keep in mind this is 1969 on the Lulu British Television Show . Jimi Hendrix does nine minutes of Voodoo Chile and Hey Joe and then they do Sunshine of Your Love
Considering what else was on television at that time. Lulu was very young at the time, she had top 40 hits at about 17 years old.
This was a missing tape for a number of years, this is music history
I was sitting at home listening to the Pat Martino CD We’ll be Together Again and then I realised that there maybe guitar players thatdon’t know this great jazz guitar legend. Pat has had a very interesting journey in life and recovered from a very serious illness. He is probably one of the most fluent players in the history of guitar. Here is is on Youtube video with another great contemporary jazz guitar player John Schofield. I saw John Schofield play in the early eighties in a guitar duet, I still haven’t recovered.
Truly remarkable guitar playing if you care to look at it closely.
Ooooh, now this is good. What a mix, four very great players together doing Rock Me Baby. I love Buddy Guys playing, I first heard him about 1971 and he was in a dream I had at the time at 14 years old, and at that time I didn’t know who he was. Now every guitar player should know him. Jimmy V is Stevie Rays brother, the other two don’t need an introduction, only respect. Great to hear another version of a blues.
When Charlie Christian first played the electric guitar in the late 30′s anbd early 1940′s, when most people heard it they did not realise that it was an electric guitar, it was a new phenomena. This youtube video is not Charlie Christian playing live, it is a series of photographs, but the recording of him playing Stomping at the Savoy live in 1941 is of great historical interest to guitar players. So many of the great jazz plays fashioned their style on Charlie Christian. He died very young, just like Hendrix did. His impact is not widely recognised outside of jazz guitar circles.
Anyone that was alive and listening in the early seventies would have been aware of the Dutch band Focus, and many would also realise that their music extended way past the hit single Hocus Pocus, complete with yoddeling. I have posted about the following electric guitar video because it is of historical value. The original guitar player with Focus was the unbelievable player Jan Akkerman, second to none in his day. After he left, another player called Philip Catherine joined the band. Philip Catherine is an incrdible jazz guitar player, I have heard him working with Niels Henning Orsted Pederson, the virtuoso Danish jazz bass player and also the legendary Stepane Grapelli, and Larry Coryell. In Europe, Philip Catherine was really pushing ahead in the areas of jazz rock. Philip Catherine and Coryell, recorded a couple of the worlds best acoustic guitar duets ever, fast, sensitive and very scary. In fact, I think Coryell sounded his best when he played with Catherine.
So here is Philip Catherine with Focus, yes a little dated but well worth seeing him in action, remember it is 32 years ago.
Don Randall, the man who named the Fender Stratocaster, one of the most famous guitars in the world has died. To see the story about his life go to Don Randall Story
The Fender Stratocaster over the years has been associated with many great players such as:
Jimi Hendrix who played it left handed and strung it upside down.
Hank Marvin from the the Shadows, the band that had numerous instumental hits at at a time when vocal music was extremely popular.
Stevie Ray Vaughan, the electric master of Texas Blues who died in a helicopter crash with the famous rock promoter, Bill Graham.
Eric Clapton, the British Blues player and member of the classic psychodelic rock trio Cream, who was admired by Hendrix. In fact Hendrix had at one point stated that Tales of Brave Ulysses by the Cream was his favourite guitarist.
Buddy Holly, pioneer of sixties rock and roll who died in an aeroplane crash in 1959 also was one of the early strat players.
Jeff Beck, formerly of the Small Faces with Rod Stewart, the Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group, and Beck Bogart and Appice, who went to be one of the great rock and (for lack of words) jazz rock players of our town still plays a stratocaster and like Mark Knopfler of Dire Strits fame, Beck plays fingerstyle.
Stratocasters have an instantly recognisable sound to most guitar players. And are much sought after and played by thousands of players globally.
So on behalf of the guitar players across the world:“Don Randall, thank you for giving such a beautiful instrument, such an exquisite name”
Here’s a guitar video of the incredible John Lee Hooker doing the tune Bad Like Jesse James, with his trademark vocals and simple repetitive riffs. His sound is recognisable after a couple of notes. The dialogue prior to the tune is Ry Cooder. Cooder’s has been responsible for supporting and exposing numerous musicians from various cultural backgrounds.
John Lee Hooker’s music is simple, but he plays exactly what is required, a lesson to guitar plares everywhere.
When people have said Wes Montgomery was the worlds best jazz guitarist, very few jazz guitar ;players question it. When Wes played Round Midnight set the benchmark for all other jazz guitar players to be measured against. I’ts 36 years since I first heard this, and still today I’m in awe.
Buddy Guy is one of the legends of Electric Blues Guitar. This electric guitar youtube video is a performance of Buddy Guy at Montreux Jazz Festivalin 2004. He invited Carlos Santana to the stage to play a blues with him. It starts slowly with Buddy trading lines with the sax player. Then Santana plays a slow blues and then heads into his trademark stlye. It then pulls backand there’s some swapping of licks between Buddy and Carlos, then they start howling, then they settie back for a brief moment… then they go bananas just before the end. I love it!
Here’s a great youtube electric guitar video of B B King and David Gilmour from Pink Floyd performing live.
This will be of great interest to a lot of guitar players that have only ever heard Gilmour in a Pink Floyd setting.
There are very few songs that stop me in my tracks and send a shiver down my spine when I hear it. When I was in my teens I was a Hendrix fanatic. I’m now 52 years old and although I dedicate most of my time to acoustic guitar when I hear All Along the Watchtower the song that Jimi Hendrix redefined I’m reminded why I spent years as an electric guitarist and how brilliant Jimi Hendrix was.
So here’s a Youtube Video of Jimi Hendrix live at the Isle of White.
Charlie Mingus the legendary bass player wrote a song called Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. Over the years I’ve heard many great players record it, John McLaughlin, Ralph Towner, Joni Mitchell did a vocal version as well, but the most strking version I’ve ever heard is Jeff Beck doing his electric version which he recorded on Wired in 76.
This youtube guitar video is Jeff Beck playing Pork Pie Hat in 2006. It’s part of a medley, the other tune is called Brush with the Blues.
BEST Guitar and Blog SITE Hosting
- Tommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic GuitarTommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic […]
- Lightnin Hopkins – Mojo HandLightnin Hopkins Youtube video – Acoustic Guitar – Mojo Hand Tony Hogan […]
- Lightnin Hopkins Blues Guitar YoutubeLightnin Hopkins doing an Acoustic Blues Guitar version of Baby Please Don’t Go For more Blues Guitar Check out T Bone Walker […]
- Jon Gomm YoutubeThis is a very good contemporary acoustic guitar arrangement of the the Soul / Funk tune by Chaka Khan by an excellent guitar player by the name of Jon Gomm. It includes a number of techniques such as Tapping, Harmonics, Hammer Ons, and Pull Offs and at the same time is very musical To visit […]
- Russ Barenberg – Acoustic Guitar YoutubeRuss Barenberg playing beautiful acoustic guitar on the tune Drummers of England… a lesson in musicality For more beautiful guitar go to Russ Barenberg and Jerry Douglas For Russ’s website Russ Barenberg … and he has Skype lessons !!!!! […]
- The BOSS RE-20 Space EchoWhen you’re talking about a digital piece of gear that replicates a classic of the past, the true test is in how successfully it convinces those who are used to the old-school analog version. When it comes to the Roland RE-20 Space Echo, Monster Magnet’s Dave Wyndorf is convinced: “Roland has a digital Space Echo, […] […]
- Reverb’s Favourite ReverbsThe folks over at Reverb.com have put together a run-down of their favourite reverb pedals, after doing a similar article about delay pedals a while ago. There are some obvious (i.e.: classic) choices and some surprising ones as well. From the article: “Given our name, it was only a matter of time before we pulled […] […]
- IK Multimedia and Orange “Tiny Terror” GiveawayPRESS RELEASE: IK Multimedia, the global leader in digital modelling technology, announced a collaboration with Orange Amplification® to kick off the exciting release of AmpliTube Orange for iPhone/iPad by giving musicians the chance to win over $2200 in hardware and software music creation prizes! Entries will be accepted on the IK Multimedia website throug […]
- Ultimate Custom Taylor SweepstakesPRESS RELEASE: To celebrate 40 years of crafting exceptional guitars, Taylor Guitars has teamed with Ultimate Ears, the leader in custom in-ear monitors used by musicians around the globe, to offer one lucky fan the chance of a lifetime: to build their own custom Taylor guitar at the Taylor Guitars factory in Southern California, matched with special […] […]
- Keneally-Bendian-Lunn US TourFrom the latest Mike Keneally ‘Keneallist’ email: It’s me. Hey! I’m pleased as peanut to present the vital details for the Keneally-Bendian-Lunn May 2014 Tour. Dates and all info are below. We shall build boldly upon lessons learned and visions glimpsed. We will leave no stone unturned in providing you good people with a stupidly memorable […] […]
- Voodoo Chile Acoustic Guitar TutorialHere is a simple and sensible Youtube Video Tutorial of an acoustic version of Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile gratitude to the publisher Tagged: voodoo chile acoustic guitar youtube […]
- How to Improve Your Guitar PlayingThese So many guitar players want to improve their guitar playing but ignore some fundamental things. Here are some tips that are easily missed by inexperienced players. Learn the notes on the fretboard Learn the sound / texture of chord … Continue reading → […]
- Antoine DufourAntoine Dufour – Acoustic Guitar These Moments Hammer ons, pull offs , taps, harmonics open tuning and beauty. Tagged: antoine dufour, open tuning, tapping […]
- Jam With Google ChromeThis is an interesting concept and had to happen sooner or later, jamming with Google Chrome Google Chrome Jamming I will go in and test it at some point soon when I come up for air. Haven’t been blogging for … Continue reading → […]
- T Bone Walker Blues Guitar YoutubeThis is a wonderful Blues on semi-acoustic guitar with T Bone Walker and Shakey Jake on vocals for more Blues check out Mississipi John Hurt Tony Hogan Tagged: T Bone Walker Blues Guitar […]
- Cream Reunion Youtube – Sitting on Top of the World
- Joe Pass Youtube Video
- Spencer Davis Group Youtube
- Lesle West Mountain Youtube
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers
- Booby McFerrin and Richard Bona Youtube
- Adrian Belew Youtube Electric Guitar
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Because We’ve Ended as Lovers
- Phil Keaggy Youtube Electric Guitar
- Michael Jackson Electric Guitar Tribute