Here’s a great recent version of the Cream doing the old Blues Classic – Sitting on Top of the World at their reunion concert in 2005.
Here’s a great old Spencer Davis Youtube Video
Pick who the guitarist is?
Robert Cray and Albert Collins together, both are exceptional blues players. Very different in style, Albert plays a Fender Tele, what is unusual about his playing is he often uses a capo. Albert Collins’s playing seems to have sweetened over the years, he has an extraordinary bite in his playing. Robert Cray, the silky voiced bluesman achieved great commercial success in the eighties. Robert would probably be the smoothest blues player getting around. Robert first started playing because he liked the Beatles music. He mixes the the brilliant blues of the past with the production quality of the present.
If you want to hear an exception album, have a listen to the Showdown album, it included a third great blues player Johnny Cougar.
This is going to hurt you people who have been playing for years, once you’ve seen Joe Bonamassa at 12 years old playing.
Thanks o Jon from Guitar Noize for the heads up on this
Ooooh, now this is good. What a mix, four very great players together doing Rock Me Baby. I love Buddy Guys playing, I first heard him about 1971 and he was in a dream I had at the time at 14 years old, and at that time I didn’t know who he was. Now every guitar player should know him. Jimmy V is Stevie Rays brother, the other two don’t need an introduction, only respect. Great to hear another version of a blues.
Here’s a guitar video of the incredible John Lee Hooker doing the tune Bad Like Jesse James, with his trademark vocals and simple repetitive riffs. His sound is recognisable after a couple of notes. The dialogue prior to the tune is Ry Cooder. Cooder’s has been responsible for supporting and exposing numerous musicians from various cultural backgrounds.
John Lee Hooker’s music is simple, but he plays exactly what is required, a lesson to guitar plares everywhere.
Here’s a great electric guitar video on youtube of Kenny Wayne Shepherd performing at the Fender Frontline Live stage at the NAMM music show 2008, doing Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile. This is awesome, if you haven’t seen it get ready for a treat.
Buddy Guy is one of the legends of Electric Blues Guitar. This electric guitar youtube video is a performance of Buddy Guy at Montreux Jazz Festivalin 2004. He invited Carlos Santana to the stage to play a blues with him. It starts slowly with Buddy trading lines with the sax player. Then Santana plays a slow blues and then heads into his trademark stlye. It then pulls backand there’s some swapping of licks between Buddy and Carlos, then they start howling, then they settie back for a brief moment… then they go bananas just before the end. I love it!
Here’s a great youtube electric guitar video of B B King and David Gilmour from Pink Floyd performing live.
This will be of great interest to a lot of guitar players that have only ever heard Gilmour in a Pink Floyd setting.
You may know the great blues guitar player, Duke Robillard. Well here’s Duke in another setting playing a semi acoustic guitar solo. Some players might think this sort of thing is easy to do. Try it, see if you can play solo single lines with a few double stops and chords every now and then, just solo through a blues or simple jazz tune without stopping. Joe Pass, Martin Taylor, Kenny Burrell and others are great (or were) at this. This a a great way to strengthen your playing, stay with in the paramaters of a blues guitar progression and keep going. I lie this Duke Robillard on Youtube Video, it displays another aspect of his playing
Charlie Mingus the legendary bass player wrote a song called Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. Over the years I’ve heard many great players record it, John McLaughlin, Ralph Towner, Joni Mitchell did a vocal version as well, but the most strking version I’ve ever heard is Jeff Beck doing his electric version which he recorded on Wired in 76.
This youtube guitar video is Jeff Beck playing Pork Pie Hat in 2006. It’s part of a medley, the other tune is called Brush with the Blues.
These are the essential Country Blues Guitar Scales that will help you improvise.
To download the printable version in Guitar TAB and Notation click the country_blues_scales link
One of the greatest and most influencial electric blues guitar players of all time is T Bone Walker. Apart from playing very musical sounding single lines his chord voicings and double stops were outstanding. He died in 1975 at 64 years of age. When you hear Hendrix play a slow blues it’s hard not to hear T Bone Walker. His playing was a lot more sophisticated than a lot of other players. The video Youtube blues song is called “Don’t throw Your Love on me so Strong”
It’s very hard to have an electric guitar site that specializes in electric guitar and not to include Gary Moore – Still Got the Blues for You. This song is a minor blues, I’ve always found the minor blues (Built from using Minor chords instead of a standard seventh chords much more soulful and this tune is a perfect example of the emotion and depth of sadness that can come from minors. I just love that singing Les Paul sound. And in a way it reminds me at times of Carlos Santana at times on the slow notes. Gary Moore has exceptional control right up the top of the fretboard. I can’t imagine how many players have been influenced by this tune and how many will be in the future. Hats off to Gary Moore.
Previously I posted about Gary Moore doing The Thrill is Gone with B B King, so if you enjoy this video, you’ll like the other one. Click the link to got to the Article The Thrill is Gone
Robben Ford is probably the guitarist that I have been most surprised with over the years. When I first heard him in about 1979 he was a good solid player, at that point I had no idea he’d develop into the player that he has. In the blues rock field he’s second to none. If you’ve heard him do Talk to Your Daughter and Born Under a Bad Sign you’ll know what I’m talking about. It wasn’t until about 10 years ago that I was asked to play one of his tunes in a band that it struck me how far he’d come as a player.’ His ability to control the dynamics of a tune and change gears instantly is what I find extraordinary.
This video also includes a great Tutorial on what Scales Robben Ford uses in a blues.
Emily Remler was a great female jazz guitar player, in fact she even worked with Larry Coryell, and if you don’t know Coryell he’s one of the great modern jazz rock players that also worked with McLaughlin, DiMeola and Paco DeLucia. Emily left us in 1990 and moved on to the great jazz gig in the sky but she ws and will continue to be a great inspiration fro female guitar players everywhere. In this yotube video, emily Remler is playing a blues in A, jazz style with all the nice chord subs and flowing lines. You’ll notice she’s a very clean sort of player, a very nice style and you can tell she loved playing guitar.
Eric Clapton with Jack Bruce on Bass and Ginger Baker on guitar helped define British blues. This recent recording of Crossroads the Robert Johnson traditional blues classic is an example of how musicians can take a musical idea and make it their own, in the same way that Hendrix redefined All Along the Watchtower. Some may not know it but in the sixties people were calling Eric Clapton God. In an Eastern mystical sense that is true and also if you say he’s a guitar God, yep I’ll back that one up for sure. The control Clapton has is unbelievable, the way he can shift the dynamics of a song in a split second has always interested me; from screaming lead to sensible accompaniment without blinking.
I the mid nighties I was very interested in Guitar Construction. During that time I found an excellent book about Danny Ferringtons guitars, the book came with a CD sampler of Danny’s guitars that he had made for some exceptional guitar players. One of the guitar players was a guy called Randy Jacobs. I’ve written about Randy because you may not have heard of him. The video is a production music vid but it features Randy on guitar and it won’t take much for you to hear how good he is from the opening riff. His tone is superb and and he’s feel for a song is second to none. And hey, how good is the guys voice.
If you like electric guitar you’ll love this, Joe Walsh. You may know Joe Walsh from the Eagles, but his musical history goes way back to the James Gang the band was with years ago and also Joe Walsh’s solo albums with tunes like Time Out. This tune is James Taylor doing Steamroller Blues but I had to post about it he because of Joe Walsh’s beautiful singing electric guitar fills are so good it would be a shame if you never got to hear his guitar fills.
B B King and Gary Moore together. Well if you’re interested in good tone in blues, it’s pretty hard to go past either B B King or Gary Moore. To have the two of them together, Gary Moore on his Les Paul Gold on treble pickup (Gosh I had one of those Les Paul guitars for 16 years and sold it) , and B B on his butterfly.
I saw B B King live, his sound is just as good live as on recording. The interesting thing about B B King, and this really made me laugh, he said he can’t play chords. It doesn’t bother me, just keep playing like that.
Listen out for the interplay of the two guitars swapping lines and the build that happens around about 5 and a half minutes. I like music with feeling, that’s a priority for me. This youtube has something special.
BEST Guitar and Blog SITE Hosting
- Tommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic GuitarTommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic […]
- Lightnin Hopkins – Mojo HandLightnin Hopkins Youtube video – Acoustic Guitar – Mojo Hand Tony Hogan […]
- Lightnin Hopkins Blues Guitar YoutubeLightnin Hopkins doing an Acoustic Blues Guitar version of Baby Please Don’t Go For more Blues Guitar Check out T Bone Walker […]
- Jon Gomm YoutubeThis is a very good contemporary acoustic guitar arrangement of the the Soul / Funk tune by Chaka Khan by an excellent guitar player by the name of Jon Gomm. It includes a number of techniques such as Tapping, Harmonics, Hammer Ons, and Pull Offs and at the same time is very musical To visit […]
- Russ Barenberg – Acoustic Guitar YoutubeRuss Barenberg playing beautiful acoustic guitar on the tune Drummers of England… a lesson in musicality For more beautiful guitar go to Russ Barenberg and Jerry Douglas For Russ’s website Russ Barenberg … and he has Skype lessons !!!!! […]
- BOSS Unveils RC-1 Loop StationPRESS RELEASE: BOSS is proud to announce the RC-1 Loop Station, the new entry-level model in the company’s acclaimed lineup of dedicated loop recording devices. Battery-powered and affordable, the RC-1’s straightforward operation makes it easier than ever for guitarists, bassists, and other musicians to incorporate the fun of looping into their live performa […]
- REVIEW: TC Electronic Alter Ego Vintage Echo X4The Alter Ego X4 Delay is related to the smaller Alter Ego delay, which was born when Andy and Aaron of ProGuitarShop got their paws on the TonePrint software for the Flashback Delay and created two exclusive new delay modes worthy of their own pedal. Now the Alter Ego X4 Vintage Echo takes this pedal and blows it out, in a similar way to the awesome Flashba […]
- TC Electronic Announces PolyTune 2 MiniPRESS RELEASE: PolyTune 2 Mini takes everything that’s great about TC Electronic’s innovative polyphonic tuning technology, and crams it into an unfathomably small enclosure that willl fit on basically any pedalboard out there. On top of that, the new PolyTune 2 Mini features an upgraded display with 109 ultra-bright LEDs, which ensures that no matter […] […]
- Devin Townsend Australian Clinic Tour!Prepare yourselves for the subjugation! Devin Townsend is heading to Australia for a series of exclusive guitar masterclasses in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, right ahead of the release of his next opus, Z2, which comprises two discs: Dark Matters (Ziltoid) and Sky Blue (Devin Townsend Project). There will be two levels of ticket pricing: […]
- New Soulbender Album On The Way!Cool! I liked the first one. And any day you get to hear Michael Wilton riffin’ is a good day. PRESS RELEASE: Formed over a decade ago in Seattle, Washington, “Soulbender” is comprised of Queensrÿche guitarist Michael Wilton, vocalist Nick Pollock (My Sister’s Machine), guitarist Dave Groves (ex-Tin Pan/Fallen Angel) and drummer Wes Hallam (ex-Assault/Fallen […]
- Voodoo Chile Acoustic Guitar TutorialHere is a simple and sensible Youtube Video Tutorial of an acoustic version of Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile gratitude to the publisher Tagged: voodoo chile acoustic guitar youtube […]
- How to Improve Your Guitar PlayingThese So many guitar players want to improve their guitar playing but ignore some fundamental things. Here are some tips that are easily missed by inexperienced players. Learn the notes on the fretboard Learn the sound / texture of chord … Continue reading → […]
- Antoine DufourAntoine Dufour – Acoustic Guitar These Moments Hammer ons, pull offs , taps, harmonics open tuning and beauty. Tagged: antoine dufour, open tuning, tapping […]
- Jam With Google ChromeThis is an interesting concept and had to happen sooner or later, jamming with Google Chrome Google Chrome Jamming I will go in and test it at some point soon when I come up for air. Haven’t been blogging for … Continue reading → […]
- T Bone Walker Blues Guitar YoutubeThis is a wonderful Blues on semi-acoustic guitar with T Bone Walker and Shakey Jake on vocals for more Blues check out Mississipi John Hurt Tony Hogan Tagged: T Bone Walker Blues Guitar […]
- Cream Reunion Youtube – Sitting on Top of the World
- Joe Pass Youtube Video
- Spencer Davis Group Youtube
- Lesle West Mountain Youtube
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers
- Booby McFerrin and Richard Bona Youtube
- Adrian Belew Youtube Electric Guitar
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Because We’ve Ended as Lovers
- Phil Keaggy Youtube Electric Guitar
- Michael Jackson Electric Guitar Tribute