Archive for January, 2009
This guy Charlie Hunter is a really serious guitar player; there’s guys who just play, guys that shred and others that just copy. Charlie Hunter is someone that thinks for himself, and he can play. I’ve been aware of his playing for quite a few years now, when I first heard him him doing Hendrix’s If six was Nine, I thought what is this? What the? That sound… good heavens… he’s got it. And I got what he’s doing and it sends chills through me. Salutations to Charlie Hunter.
Anyone that was alive and listening in the early seventies would have been aware of the Dutch band Focus, and many would also realise that their music extended way past the hit single Hocus Pocus, complete with yoddeling. I have posted about the following electric guitar video because it is of historical value. The original guitar player with Focus was the unbelievable player Jan Akkerman, second to none in his day. After he left, another player called Philip Catherine joined the band. Philip Catherine is an incrdible jazz guitar player, I have heard him working with Niels Henning Orsted Pederson, the virtuoso Danish jazz bass player and also the legendary Stepane Grapelli, and Larry Coryell. In Europe, Philip Catherine was really pushing ahead in the areas of jazz rock. Philip Catherine and Coryell, recorded a couple of the worlds best acoustic guitar duets ever, fast, sensitive and very scary. In fact, I think Coryell sounded his best when he played with Catherine.
So here is Philip Catherine with Focus, yes a little dated but well worth seeing him in action, remember it is 32 years ago.
Don Randall, the man who named the Fender Stratocaster, one of the most famous guitars in the world has died. To see the story about his life go to Don Randall Story
The Fender Stratocaster over the years has been associated with many great players such as:
Jimi Hendrix who played it left handed and strung it upside down.
Hank Marvin from the the Shadows, the band that had numerous instumental hits at at a time when vocal music was extremely popular.
Stevie Ray Vaughan, the electric master of Texas Blues who died in a helicopter crash with the famous rock promoter, Bill Graham.
Eric Clapton, the British Blues player and member of the classic psychodelic rock trio Cream, who was admired by Hendrix. In fact Hendrix had at one point stated that Tales of Brave Ulysses by the Cream was his favourite guitarist.
Buddy Holly, pioneer of sixties rock and roll who died in an aeroplane crash in 1959 also was one of the early strat players.
Jeff Beck, formerly of the Small Faces with Rod Stewart, the Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group, and Beck Bogart and Appice, who went to be one of the great rock and (for lack of words) jazz rock players of our town still plays a stratocaster and like Mark Knopfler of Dire Strits fame, Beck plays fingerstyle.
Stratocasters have an instantly recognisable sound to most guitar players. And are much sought after and played by thousands of players globally.
So on behalf of the guitar players across the world:“Don Randall, thank you for giving such a beautiful instrument, such an exquisite name”
Here’s a guitar video of the incredible John Lee Hooker doing the tune Bad Like Jesse James, with his trademark vocals and simple repetitive riffs. His sound is recognisable after a couple of notes. The dialogue prior to the tune is Ry Cooder. Cooder’s has been responsible for supporting and exposing numerous musicians from various cultural backgrounds.
John Lee Hooker’s music is simple, but he plays exactly what is required, a lesson to guitar plares everywhere.
When people have said Wes Montgomery was the worlds best jazz guitarist, very few jazz guitar ;players question it. When Wes played Round Midnight set the benchmark for all other jazz guitar players to be measured against. I’ts 36 years since I first heard this, and still today I’m in awe.
Here’s a great electric guitar video on youtube of Kenny Wayne Shepherd performing at the Fender Frontline Live stage at the NAMM music show 2008, doing Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile. This is awesome, if you haven’t seen it get ready for a treat.
BEST Guitar and Blog SITE Hosting
- Tommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic GuitarTommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic […]
- Lightnin Hopkins – Mojo HandLightnin Hopkins Youtube video – Acoustic Guitar – Mojo Hand Tony Hogan […]
- Lightnin Hopkins Blues Guitar YoutubeLightnin Hopkins doing an Acoustic Blues Guitar version of Baby Please Don’t Go For more Blues Guitar Check out T Bone Walker […]
- Jon Gomm YoutubeThis is a very good contemporary acoustic guitar arrangement of the the Soul / Funk tune by Chaka Khan by an excellent guitar player by the name of Jon Gomm. It includes a number of techniques such as Tapping, Harmonics, Hammer Ons, and Pull Offs and at the same time is very musical To visit […]
- Russ Barenberg – Acoustic Guitar YoutubeRuss Barenberg playing beautiful acoustic guitar on the tune Drummers of England… a lesson in musicality For more beautiful guitar go to Russ Barenberg and Jerry Douglas For Russ’s website Russ Barenberg … and he has Skype lessons !!!!! […]
- REVIEW: Adelaide International Guitar FestivalThe Adelaide International Guitar Festival is a unique monolith on the Australian guitar landscape. More like the great European festivals in terms of its approach rather than a G3-like celebration of electric guitar power, it pays homage to the instrument by celebrating the broad palette of sounds it’s capable of, with particular emphasis on world-class […] […]
- Sébastien Giniaux. Whoa.[…]
- Lloyd Spiegel with Tim Burnham Live @ PonyLloyd Spiegel with Tim Burnham Live in the Studio at Pony Music for Guitar Gods and Masterpieces. Enjoy! […]
- Ooh! Jackson Swirl and Tigerstripe DK2M Pros!Check out what Jackson Guitars posted on their Instagram: a pair of DK2M Pro models, one with a green swirl finish and one with a Tigerstripe vibe. Jackson says these will be coming this fall to an authorised dealer near you. […]
- Pure Pop Records To MoveI don’t often post about stuff that’s super-local here, since I Heart Guitar has readers from all over the place, but Pure Pop Records is a place that’s quite near and dear to my heart: a record store with a comfortable, homey vibe and a great supporter of live music. Today they’ve announced that they’ll […] […]
- Voodoo Chile Acoustic Guitar TutorialHere is a simple and sensible Youtube Video Tutorial of an acoustic version of Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile gratitude to the publisher Tagged: voodoo chile acoustic guitar youtube […]
- How to Improve Your Guitar PlayingThese So many guitar players want to improve their guitar playing but ignore some fundamental things. Here are some tips that are easily missed by inexperienced players. Learn the notes on the fretboard Learn the sound / texture of chord … Continue reading → […]
- Antoine DufourAntoine Dufour – Acoustic Guitar These Moments Hammer ons, pull offs , taps, harmonics open tuning and beauty. Tagged: antoine dufour, open tuning, tapping […]
- Jam With Google ChromeThis is an interesting concept and had to happen sooner or later, jamming with Google Chrome Google Chrome Jamming I will go in and test it at some point soon when I come up for air. Haven’t been blogging for … Continue reading → […]
- T Bone Walker Blues Guitar YoutubeThis is a wonderful Blues on semi-acoustic guitar with T Bone Walker and Shakey Jake on vocals for more Blues check out Mississipi John Hurt Tony Hogan Tagged: T Bone Walker Blues Guitar […]
- Cream Reunion Youtube – Sitting on Top of the World
- Joe Pass Youtube Video
- Spencer Davis Group Youtube
- Lesle West Mountain Youtube
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers
- Booby McFerrin and Richard Bona Youtube
- Adrian Belew Youtube Electric Guitar
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Because We’ve Ended as Lovers
- Phil Keaggy Youtube Electric Guitar
- Michael Jackson Electric Guitar Tribute