Archive for October, 2008
The Shadows with Hank Marvin out front were very influential for many guitar players instrumental. Hank ,played his trademark Fender Strat.
Apache, Con Tiki, Wonderful Land were all number one hits and they had numerous other hits in the charts. Whereas many players were growing their hair, burning incense and whatever, the Shadows had a very clean look wearing suits. But in the scheme of things, that’s not so important. What is, is that Hank had so much contriol over his tone and played very refined melodies. He didn’t waste a note. Leave the opinions of style and looking cool at the door and listen to this.
One of the greatest and most influencial electric blues guitar players of all time is T Bone Walker. Apart from playing very musical sounding single lines his chord voicings and double stops were outstanding. He died in 1975 at 64 years of age. When you hear Hendrix play a slow blues it’s hard not to hear T Bone Walker. His playing was a lot more sophisticated than a lot of other players. The video Youtube blues song is called “Don’t throw Your Love on me so Strong”
When I listen to some of the players out there now on electric guitar it shows me how far we have come in the last 30 years. This guy is exceptional and his interpretation of Pacelbels Canon is a great lesson in being yourself, well at least taking the techniques that define your particular style and applying them to an already existing piece and giving it a new life.
It’s very hard to have an electric guitar site that specializes in electric guitar and not to include Gary Moore – Still Got the Blues for You. This song is a minor blues, I’ve always found the minor blues (Built from using Minor chords instead of a standard seventh chords much more soulful and this tune is a perfect example of the emotion and depth of sadness that can come from minors. I just love that singing Les Paul sound. And in a way it reminds me at times of Carlos Santana at times on the slow notes. Gary Moore has exceptional control right up the top of the fretboard. I can’t imagine how many players have been influenced by this tune and how many will be in the future. Hats off to Gary Moore.
Previously I posted about Gary Moore doing The Thrill is Gone with B B King, so if you enjoy this video, you’ll like the other one. Click the link to got to the Article The Thrill is Gone
Daryl Stuermer is not a guitar player that many people will know of. I first saw him with Jean Luc Ponty live playing the most incredible acoustic guitar in the seventies. He’s also worked with Phil Collins and on many other projects, you may not know of him but I have no doubt you’ve heard him play.
If you are a guitar player you may be interested in what he has to say because he discusses the changes that have happened in the way that musicians now get their work out there into the music world.
Here is a link to his site Daryl Stuermer
Here’s a great classic sounding youtube video of Creedence Clearwater Revival with John Fogarty’s incredibly swampy sound playing the soul hit Heard it through the Grapevine.
BEST Guitar and Blog SITE Hosting
- Tommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic GuitarTommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor Acoustic […]
- Lightnin Hopkins – Mojo HandLightnin Hopkins Youtube video – Acoustic Guitar – Mojo Hand Tony Hogan […]
- Lightnin Hopkins Blues Guitar YoutubeLightnin Hopkins doing an Acoustic Blues Guitar version of Baby Please Don’t Go For more Blues Guitar Check out T Bone Walker […]
- Jon Gomm YoutubeThis is a very good contemporary acoustic guitar arrangement of the the Soul / Funk tune by Chaka Khan by an excellent guitar player by the name of Jon Gomm. It includes a number of techniques such as Tapping, Harmonics, Hammer Ons, and Pull Offs and at the same time is very musical To visit […]
- Russ Barenberg – Acoustic Guitar YoutubeRuss Barenberg playing beautiful acoustic guitar on the tune Drummers of England… a lesson in musicality For more beautiful guitar go to Russ Barenberg and Jerry Douglas For Russ’s website Russ Barenberg … and he has Skype lessons !!!!! […]
- MUSIKMESSE: New Martin ModelsPRESS RELEASE: C. F. Martin & Co. (www.martinguitar.com) will unveil four outstanding new models at Musikmesse 2014, Hall 3.1 Stand F81, in Frankfurt, Germany March 12-15. Two new retro-inspired models, the 000-18 and OM-28, both highlight distinct vintage design and include features that can be found on coveted Martin pre-war era guitars. Additionally […]
- INTERVIEW: Adrian BelewThe Crimson ProjeKCt is a King Crimson offshoot featuring three current members of that historic, nay, iconic band – Adrian Belew, Tony Levin and Pat Mastelotto – along with Julie Slick, Tobias Ralph and Markus Reuter. And a typical Crimson ProjeCKt concert is a marathon of musical might which shifts through many moods and configurations. […] […]
- Motörhead’s MotörboatPRESS RELEASE: Megadeth, Motörhead, and Anthrax - three of the greatest heavy metal bands in the world – will perform at the first annual Motörhead’s Motörboat cruise onboard the Carnival Ecstasyfrom September 22-26, 2014. In addition to these three rock giants, “The Loudest Boat In The World” will also feature performances from Zakk Wylde, Jim Breuer, Danko […]
- INTERVIEW: Stevic Mackay of Twelve Foot NinjaIf you’re reading this, perhaps you’ve posted a video of your playing on YouTube. Maybe it’s your band, maybe it’s you playing along to your favourite Megadeth solo, maybe it’s a lesson video. Whatever it is, you’ve probably run across the horror that is the Internet Troll. Twelve Foot Ninja have too. That shouldn’t be […] […]
- Keeley Ships Seafoam Chorus PedalPRESS RELEASE:Keeley Electronics today announced it is now shipping its Seafoam Chorus effect pedal. The 100% hand-built Seafoam chorus is a new design built from the ground up that was created for the most demanding modulation effects connoisseurs. The Seafoam chorus offers a wealth of studio-quality musical tones, from pulsating vibrato pitch bending to sh […]
- Voodoo Chile Acoustic Guitar TutorialHere is a simple and sensible Youtube Video Tutorial of an acoustic version of Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile gratitude to the publisher Tagged: voodoo chile acoustic guitar youtube […]
- How to Improve Your Guitar PlayingThese So many guitar players want to improve their guitar playing but ignore some fundamental things. Here are some tips that are easily missed by inexperienced players. Learn the notes on the fretboard Learn the sound / texture of chord … Continue reading → […]
- Antoine DufourAntoine Dufour – Acoustic Guitar These Moments Hammer ons, pull offs , taps, harmonics open tuning and beauty. Tagged: antoine dufour, open tuning, tapping […]
- Jam With Google ChromeThis is an interesting concept and had to happen sooner or later, jamming with Google Chrome Google Chrome Jamming I will go in and test it at some point soon when I come up for air. Haven’t been blogging for … Continue reading → […]
- T Bone Walker Blues Guitar YoutubeThis is a wonderful Blues on semi-acoustic guitar with T Bone Walker and Shakey Jake on vocals for more Blues check out Mississipi John Hurt Tony Hogan Tagged: T Bone Walker Blues Guitar […]
- Cream Reunion Youtube – Sitting on Top of the World
- Joe Pass Youtube Video
- Spencer Davis Group Youtube
- Lesle West Mountain Youtube
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers
- Booby McFerrin and Richard Bona Youtube
- Adrian Belew Youtube Electric Guitar
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Because We’ve Ended as Lovers
- Phil Keaggy Youtube Electric Guitar
- Michael Jackson Electric Guitar Tribute