Archive for October, 2008
The Shadows with Hank Marvin out front were very influential for many guitar players instrumental. Hank ,played his trademark Fender Strat.
Apache, Con Tiki, Wonderful Land were all number one hits and they had numerous other hits in the charts. Whereas many players were growing their hair, burning incense and whatever, the Shadows had a very clean look wearing suits. But in the scheme of things, that’s not so important. What is, is that Hank had so much contriol over his tone and played very refined melodies. He didn’t waste a note. Leave the opinions of style and looking cool at the door and listen to this.
One of the greatest and most influencial electric blues guitar players of all time is T Bone Walker. Apart from playing very musical sounding single lines his chord voicings and double stops were outstanding. He died in 1975 at 64 years of age. When you hear Hendrix play a slow blues it’s hard not to hear T Bone Walker. His playing was a lot more sophisticated than a lot of other players. The video Youtube blues song is called “Don’t throw Your Love on me so Strong”
When I listen to some of the players out there now on electric guitar it shows me how far we have come in the last 30 years. This guy is exceptional and his interpretation of Pacelbels Canon is a great lesson in being yourself, well at least taking the techniques that define your particular style and applying them to an already existing piece and giving it a new life.
It’s very hard to have an electric guitar site that specializes in electric guitar and not to include Gary Moore – Still Got the Blues for You. This song is a minor blues, I’ve always found the minor blues (Built from using Minor chords instead of a standard seventh chords much more soulful and this tune is a perfect example of the emotion and depth of sadness that can come from minors. I just love that singing Les Paul sound. And in a way it reminds me at times of Carlos Santana at times on the slow notes. Gary Moore has exceptional control right up the top of the fretboard. I can’t imagine how many players have been influenced by this tune and how many will be in the future. Hats off to Gary Moore.
Previously I posted about Gary Moore doing The Thrill is Gone with B B King, so if you enjoy this video, you’ll like the other one. Click the link to got to the Article The Thrill is Gone
Daryl Stuermer is not a guitar player that many people will know of. I first saw him with Jean Luc Ponty live playing the most incredible acoustic guitar in the seventies. He’s also worked with Phil Collins and on many other projects, you may not know of him but I have no doubt you’ve heard him play.
If you are a guitar player you may be interested in what he has to say because he discusses the changes that have happened in the way that musicians now get their work out there into the music world.
Here is a link to his site Daryl Stuermer
Here’s a great classic sounding youtube video of Creedence Clearwater Revival with John Fogarty’s incredibly swampy sound playing the soul hit Heard it through the Grapevine.
BEST Guitar and Blog SITE Hosting
- Lightnin Hopkins – Mojo HandLightnin Hopkins Youtube video – Acoustic Guitar – Mojo Hand Tony Hogan […]
- Lightnin Hopkins Blues Guitar YoutubeLightnin Hopkins doing an Acoustic Blues Guitar version of Baby Please Don’t Go For more Blues Guitar Check out T Bone Walker […]
- Jon Gomm YoutubeThis is a very good contemporary acoustic guitar arrangement of the the Soul / Funk tune by Chaka Khan by an excellent guitar player by the name of Jon Gomm. It includes a number of techniques such as Tapping, Harmonics, Hammer Ons, and Pull Offs and at the same time is very musical To visit […]
- Russ Barenberg – Acoustic Guitar YoutubeRuss Barenberg playing beautiful acoustic guitar on the tune Drummers of England… a lesson in musicality For more beautiful guitar go to Russ Barenberg and Jerry Douglas For Russ’s website Russ Barenberg … and he has Skype lessons !!!!! […]
- Acoustic Guitar Youtube Antoine DufourHere’s a bit of great Acoustic Guitar by Antoine Dufour For more great guitar check out Andy McKee […]
- Stream The New Queensryche Album Now!Whoa! With week left until its release, Queensryche (that’s the version featuring the mighty Michael Wilton, Scott Rockenfield, Eddie Jackson, Parker Lundgren and new vocalist Todd La Torre), have put their new self-titled album up online for all to crank. And it’s killer. I especially like In This Light: with all the talk of how […]
- Win A YouRock MIDI GuitarHey! Here’s something cool. Making Music Magazine is holding a sweepstakes for someone to win a YouRock MIDI Guitar. The MIDI Guitar is a really innovative instrument that plays just like any other guitar, but without the strings and tuning pegs. You can plug it into your computer and take lessons, play games and even add […]
- TC Electronic Announces Steve Vai TonePrintRisskov, Denmark, June 11th 2013 – TC Electronic is excited to announce one of the biggest names on the TonePrint artist roster yet – Steve Vai! The creative genius has contributed a TonePrint for Hall Of Fame Reverb entitled Ocean Machine. This TonePrint is available immediately and free of charge through www.tcelectronic.com/steve-vai or through the […]
- Rolling Stones’ Crossfire Hurricane Comes To DVD, Blu-rayPRESS RELEASE: Eagle Rock Entertainment releases The Rolling Stones’ Crossfire Hurricane on DVD and Blu-ray. Crossfire Hurricane is the kaleidoscopic new film that documents the key periods of the Rolling Stones’ career and their incredible journey. Directed by Brett Morgen, Crossfire Hurricane provides a remarkable new perspective on the Stones’ unparallel […]
- Listen To The New Black Sabbath Album Now!Head over to the Black Sabbath artist page on iTunes to stream the 8-track regular version of their new album 13 right now! It’s incredible – lots of great guitar playing, killer Geezer Butler riffage, and Ozzy is in fine form. It’s a very dark album – y’know how Sabbath Bloody Sabbath kinda sounded like […]
- Voodoo Chile Acoustic Guitar TutorialHere is a simple and sensible Youtube Video Tutorial of an acoustic version of Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile gratitude to the publisher Tagged: voodoo chile acoustic guitar youtube […]
- How to Improve Your Guitar PlayingThese So many guitar players want to improve their guitar playing but ignore some fundamental things. Here are some tips that are easily missed by inexperienced players. Learn the notes on the fretboard Learn the sound / texture of chord … Continue reading → […]
- Antoine DufourAntoine Dufour – Acoustic Guitar These Moments Hammer ons, pull offs , taps, harmonics open tuning and beauty. Tagged: antoine dufour, open tuning, tapping […]
- Jam With Google ChromeThis is an interesting concept and had to happen sooner or later, jamming with Google Chrome Google Chrome Jamming I will go in and test it at some point soon when I come up for air. Haven’t been blogging for … Continue reading → […]
- T Bone Walker Blues Guitar YoutubeThis is a wonderful Blues on semi-acoustic guitar with T Bone Walker and Shakey Jake on vocals for more Blues check out Mississipi John Hurt Tony Hogan Tagged: T Bone Walker Blues Guitar […]
- Cream Reunion Youtube – Sitting on Top of the World
- Joe Pass Youtube Video
- Spencer Davis Group Youtube
- Lesle West Mountain Youtube
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers
- Booby McFerrin and Richard Bona Youtube
- Adrian Belew Youtube Electric Guitar
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Because We’ve Ended as Lovers
- Phil Keaggy Youtube Electric Guitar
- Michael Jackson Electric Guitar Tribute