Here’s a great recent version of the Cream doing the old Blues Classic – Sitting on Top of the World at their reunion concert in 2005.
Here’s a great video of Joe Pass playing in a jazz combo in 1964. Thankyou to Dan Adler for making me aware of this recording
If you like acoustic guitar check out The Acoustic Guitarist Site
Here’s a great old Spencer Davis Youtube Video
Pick who the guitarist is?
Anyone that was alive and really listening to rock guitar in the 1970′s would know of Leslie West from the band Mountain. Leslie’s sound was second to none, he played a Les Paul junior and an interesting thing was he wasn’t really interested in using his little finger on his fretting hand, regardless of that his tone was sensational and sends chills down the spine.
For another great guitar video, check out Jeff Beck
I’ve been a fan of Jeff Beck’s playing since the days when he played with the Jeff Beck Group, I think it was the song Definitely Maybe which first convinced me of what he had to offer which was different to others. His tone is fantastic. This is the classic song ‘Cause we’ve ended as lovers’, one of my favorites. Note, there is a slight intonation issue later in the song, which is not surprising considering his use of the whammy bar.
Here is my favourite Jeff Beck Song called Nadia
Here is something of great interest. Bobby McFerrin the contemporary jazz singer working with Richard Bona playing bass. It’s a fascinating improvisation.
Richard toured with Pat Metheny’s band in 2002 , check out Pat Metheny on Harp Guitar Pat Metheny Youtube
Adrian Belew is one of the most innovative guitarists. He played with King Crimson and also did some exceptional work with David Bowie. He also recorded with Talking Heads on the Remain in Light album and David Byrne’s Catherine Wheel project. His early work on his solo albums Twang Bar King and Lone Rhino seperated him out from other guitar players because of his ability to create fascinating sound effects.
Here is the Adrian Belew Website - Adrian Belew
And here is a link to Jeff Beck’s beautiful recording of Nadia
The guitar in this performance is incredibly beautiful, it also features the young Tal Wilkenfeldon on bass. Jeff Beck manages to make his guitar cry like no one else. I’ve never realy understood how or why, and frankly I don’t want to know. My other favorites by him are Definitely Maybe and Nadia.
Click hear to experience Nadia
Here’s Phil Keaggy, famous for his brilliant acoustic guitar playing, on am elecytic guitar. The tune is called March of the Clouds.
And here is Phil Keaggy on Acoustic Guitar Acoustic Guitarist Phil Keaggy
Just saw a great post of some Guitar Players that Michaeol Jackson used on recordings
Go to GuitarNoize
Benedetto Guitars are some of the most beautiful hand made semi acoustic guitars in the world. Many players are only familiar with Gibson and Fender and are unfamiliar with what is going on in guitar craftmanship. To Check out Benedetto go to the following link Benedetto Guitars
I’ve been seeing so much good jazz guitar video’s which are available lately, I thought I’d post another one. This is Jimmy Raney, he’s not a household name like Montgomery, Kessell or Joe Pass but amongst jazz guitar players he’s held in very high regard. His son is also a great player as well. Here he is doing the jazz standard Out of Nowhere.
Here’s a great Jazz Guitar Youtube of Joe Diorio and Pat Metheny. The tune they are doing is a jzz/ blues classic called Blues in the closet.
Joe Diorio is a very well respected guitar player amongst jazz guitar players, in fact he is held in the highest regard. To hear him here with Pat Metheny is a real treat.
Here is a link to Joe’s Myspace page Joe Diorio MySpace
Here is some great jazz guitar that has everything in it, and in this case it’s great, chordal solos, fast hot jazz shredding, octaves and some beautiful flowing lines, it’s a great mix of various tequniques strung ( guitar joke) together very nicely. The guitar player is Chuck Anderson, the tune is the magnificent standard “There Will Never Be Another You”. Run it through a couple of times to get a good idea of what’s really going on here.
Here is Chuck’s site for more information about this great playing. Check him out at Chuck Anderson
And really if you are going to listen to jazz guitar, you may as well listen to the great stuff!
For more guitar go to here Electric Guitarist Jazz Guitar
Here is Joe Bonamassa doing Walk in My Shadows on Electric guitar.
Check out Joe’s Bio at Joe Bonamassa
Robert Cray and Albert Collins together, both are exceptional blues players. Very different in style, Albert plays a Fender Tele, what is unusual about his playing is he often uses a capo. Albert Collins’s playing seems to have sweetened over the years, he has an extraordinary bite in his playing. Robert Cray, the silky voiced bluesman achieved great commercial success in the eighties. Robert would probably be the smoothest blues player getting around. Robert first started playing because he liked the Beatles music. He mixes the the brilliant blues of the past with the production quality of the present.
If you want to hear an exception album, have a listen to the Showdown album, it included a third great blues player Johnny Cougar.
This is going to hurt you people who have been playing for years, once you’ve seen Joe Bonamassa at 12 years old playing.
Thanks o Jon from Guitar Noize for the heads up on this
JIMI HENDRIX on Youtube Video
Keep in mind this is 1969 on the Lulu British Television Show . Jimi Hendrix does nine minutes of Voodoo Chile and Hey Joe and then they do Sunshine of Your Love
Considering what else was on television at that time. Lulu was very young at the time, she had top 40 hits at about 17 years old.
This was a missing tape for a number of years, this is music history
It’s always good to see the developments which are happening in Electric Guitar. Here’s a Youtube of a tune o-matic bridge by Jeff Babicz the great innovative guitar maker.
To go to the guitar maker Jeff Babicz website click here Jeff Babicz
Here’s a lesson from Frank Gambale Guitar Lesson Tutorial using a slightly altered triad, it’s a 1 2 3 5 of the major scale. He’s offering this as an option to extend guitar players playing a little to get out of the standard 1 35 arpeggios. He also plays some very nice guitar after the tutorial
Thanks Frank. I wuill be posting more tutorials here from now on
BEST Guitar and Blog SITE Hosting
- Lightnin Hopkins – Mojo HandLightnin Hopkins Youtube video – Acoustic Guitar – Mojo Hand Tony Hogan […]
- Lightnin Hopkins Blues Guitar YoutubeLightnin Hopkins doing an Acoustic Blues Guitar version of Baby Please Don’t Go For more Blues Guitar Check out T Bone Walker […]
- Jon Gomm YoutubeThis is a very good contemporary acoustic guitar arrangement of the the Soul / Funk tune by Chaka Khan by an excellent guitar player by the name of Jon Gomm. It includes a number of techniques such as Tapping, Harmonics, Hammer Ons, and Pull Offs and at the same time is very musical To visit […]
- Russ Barenberg – Acoustic Guitar YoutubeRuss Barenberg playing beautiful acoustic guitar on the tune Drummers of England… a lesson in musicality For more beautiful guitar go to Russ Barenberg and Jerry Douglas For Russ’s website Russ Barenberg … and he has Skype lessons !!!!! […]
- Acoustic Guitar Youtube Antoine DufourHere’s a bit of great Acoustic Guitar by Antoine Dufour For more great guitar check out Andy McKee […]
- NEW GUITAR DAY: Ibanez Iron Label 8-StringIt's here! My new Ibanez RGIR28FE! I purchased it from Ibanez Guitar Centre after a few months of research into which model was right for me. So why 8-string? Well, I've been playing 7-string for about 10 years now and sometimes it just feels like my music wants to go lower than the 7 is capable of. […]
- The Beatles ‘Help!’ Coming To Blu-RayMy son is a huge Beatles fan. Dude is six years old and he loves them. Every now and then he’ll tell me how sad he is that ‘John Lemon’ is dead. And he loves Yellow Submarine. He’s already got (okay, I’ve already got) the previous release of Help! on DVD, but now that rather […]
- Gibson Sully Erna Les Paul StudioGibson USA is releasing a Sully Erna Les Paul Studio with - get this - a built-in flanger. I love this rarely-seen-these-days idea, and I hope it'll make its way into more guitars. […]
- RIP Trevor BolderTrevor Bolder - bass player for David Bowie's Spiders From Mars and for Uriah Heep - has died of cancer aged 62. […]
- COOL GEAR ALERT: Gibson Bill Kelliher Golden AxeWell, I for one am surprised that the first signature axe of Mastodon’s Bill Kelliher isn’t a Silverburst Les Paul, but this is kinda better because it’s its own thing: the Gibson Bill Kelliher Golden Axe Explorer. Bill has loaded this baby up with all sorts of unique elements: LACE Nitro Hemi humbuckers, gold-plated hardware, a […]
- How to Improve Your Guitar PlayingThese So many guitar players want to improve their guitar playing but ignore some fundamental things. Here are some tips that are easily missed by inexperienced players. Learn the notes on the fretboard Learn the sound / texture of chord … Continue reading → […]
- Antoine DufourAntoine Dufour – Acoustic Guitar These Moments Hammer ons, pull offs , taps, harmonics open tuning and beauty. Tagged: antoine dufour, open tuning, tapping […]
- Jam With Google ChromeThis is an interesting concept and had to happen sooner or later, jamming with Google Chrome Google Chrome Jamming I will go in and test it at some point soon when I come up for air. Haven’t been blogging for … Continue reading → […]
- T Bone Walker Blues Guitar YoutubeThis is a wonderful Blues on semi-acoustic guitar with T Bone Walker and Shakey Jake on vocals For more Blues check out Mississipi John Hurt Tony Hogan Tagged: T Bone Walker Blues Guitar […]
- Acoustic Guitar Youtube DuetBeautiful Celtic Acoustic Guitar Duet played by Steve Baughman and Robin Bullock called ’Dans Keff Avec” a tune from Brittany For more brilliant Acoustic Guitar listen to Antoine Dufour Tagged: Celtic Guitar, Robin Bullock, Steve Baughman […]
- Cream Reunion Youtube – Sitting on Top of the World
- Joe Pass Youtube Video
- Spencer Davis Group Youtube
- Lesle West Mountain Youtube
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers
- Booby McFerrin and Richard Bona Youtube
- Adrian Belew Youtube Electric Guitar
- Jeff Beck Youtube – Because We’ve Ended as Lovers
- Phil Keaggy Youtube Electric Guitar
- Michael Jackson Electric Guitar Tribute